Kelvin Grove State College offers students the opportunity to be involved in a huge range of sports to complement their academic learning. These options are wide and varied and include everything from Athletics, Cross Country and Swimming, to European Handball, Volleyball, Netball and Gridiron as well as all that are in between. Sport at KGSC has a long and rich history, dating back to 1963, when the very first inter-house championship was recorded. Sporting records from the carnivals can be seen here. Since then, school spirit and representation has only grown bigger and bigger. Students can now participate in a range of competition structures and formats including Intra-School, Inter-School, District, Regional, State and even National level.
The KGSC sporting department aims to encourage an ethos of pride within students when representing their school. Students with strong competitive spirit work alongside those that just like to give everything a go. All of these students have one thing in common; the desire to perform at their best for Kelvin Grove. Involvement can (and does) come from all walks of life in the college. Representatives come from far and wide and include, but are not limited to, students from all faculties. Our Excellence squads in Soccer, Tennis and Golf are also expected to compete at least at district level for the school.
Mascot and Houses
In 2012, KGSC received a long-awaited mascot in the form of Kelvin, the Kelvin Grove Cougar.
Kelvin takes part in all college events but is particularly interested in the sporting events. His enthusiasm for competition is infectious, and the encouragement he gives all of our students is an important addition to our program.
As well as Kelvin, there are four strong and equally important houses that make up the Kelvin Grove State College cohort. Firstly, the Petrie Panthers wear the colours orange and black, and are made up of students and teachers whose last names begin with the letters A-D. Secondly, the Bowen Bulldogs wear the colours yellow and blue, and are made up of students and teachers whose last names begin with the letters E-K. Thirdly, the Herbert Hawkes wear the colours red and white, and are made up of students and teachers whose names begin with the letters L-Q. Finally, the Lutwyche Lions wear the colours purple and white and are made up of students and teachers whose names begin with the letters R-Z.
School Sporting Events
The following intra-school (college level) sporting events are held at various times throughout the year:
- The Yr 8-12 Swimming Carnival, traditionally held in the third week of Term 1
- The Yr 4-6 Swimming Carnival, traditionally held in the second week of Term 1
- The Yr 6-12 Cross Country, traditionally held in the final week of Term 1
- The Yr 6-12 Athletics Carnival, traditionally held in the first week of Term 3
- Various inter-house sporting competitions including volleyball, basketball, ultimate disc, soccer among many others
- The Yr 8 & 9 Recreational Sporting Season, traditionally held from week 10 of Term 3 to week 9 of Term 4.
District Sporting Events
As Kelvin Grove is a Prep to 12 school, we are members of two different sporting districts.
City District caters for years 4-6, and North West Secondary District caters for years 7-12.
Each District provides access to representative sporting pathways, such as Metropolitan North School Sport and Queensland School Sport. This is done through district trials for a wide range fo sports and age groups. More information on these trials and processes can be found at http://www.metnorthsport.qld.edu.au/
The following district level sporting events are held at various times throughout the year:
- The North West District Yr 7-12 Swimming Carnival, and City District Yr 4-6 Swimming Carnival, traditionally held in week 4 of Term 1
- The North West District Yr 7-12 Cross Country, and City District 4-6 Cross Country, traditionally held in week 3 of Term 2
- The North West District Yr 7-12 Athletics Carnival, and City District Yr 4-6 Athletics Carnival, traditionally held in week 5 of Term 3
- Yr 7 & 8 Wednesday Interschool Sport, held across terms 1,2 and 3
- Year 5-6 Sporting Gala Days, 3 times per semester
Kelvin Grove State College is part of Metropolitan North Region, and students who achieve highly at the North West and City District carnivals and events, receive the opportunity to represent Met North at State Championships in a wide range of sport. This pathway also provides students with the opportunity to represent Queensland and even Australia.
Kelvin Grove enters teams in the South Queensland Futsal Championships late in term 1. From here the top teams can qualify for Queensland Champion of Champions, and even Australasian Champion of Champions. In 2012, our Open Girls won Silver at Queensland Champion of Champions, and have qualified for Australasian Champion of Champions.
The Open Boys basketball team entered in the Champion Basketball School of Queensland. This event is run in late September, and is open to any student interested in representing the College at basketball.